a FuN fUnKy FoLk ArT sToRe!

Journey along with self-employed artists, Richard and Linda Hamilton, peek into their lives... full of the daily challenges and drama of owning and operating Texas Trash and Treasures!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Billboard



THE BILLBOARD

We are one of maybe ten shops on a very short stretch of hwy 290 between Houston and Austin. Most are fine antiques and good junk. Being funky and folky, I don't fit in very well.

In an attempt to "pull in our customer," we have leased a billboard 9 miles before our shop to educate the potential shopper on what to expect. It will state plainly that we are a fun, funky, folk art store.

That way the next time a sweet old gentleman walks in, makes a beeline towards me behind the counter, passing by all my great wonderful creations, (without even glancing at them), and asks, "Do you have any ANTIQUE TIRE TOOLS?"... I can scream at him saying, "DIDN'T YOU READ THE BILLBOARD?" Or maybe I'll say, "DOES IT LOOK LIKE I HAVE ANY ANTIQUE TIRE TOOLS IN HERE SIR? THIS IS ART BUDDY. A - R - T !!!" And I'll glare at him as I spell it out.
Or perhaps I'll smile and say, "No I don't sir, but if you'll buy some of my stuff, I'll tell you who does." Sure hope the billboard works, don't you!?!

1 comment: